Book:The Carpet People
|The Carpet People|
|Main characters||Snibril, Glurk, Pismire, Brocando|
|All data relates to the first UK edition.|
The Carpet People was first published in 1971 by Colin Smythe Ltd., and was Pratchett's debut novel. It was heavily revised and republished in 1992. The original was an ode rather than a satire to Tolkien.
In the beginning there was nothing but endless flatness. Then came the Carpet ...
That's the old story everyone knows and loves (even if they don't really believe it). But now the Carpet is home to many different tribes and peoples and there's a new story in the making. The story of the Fray, sweeping a trail of destruction across the Carpet. The story of power-hungry mouls - and of two Munrung brothers, who set out on an adventure to end all adventures when their village is flattened
It's a story that will come to a terrible end - if someone doesn't do something about it. It everyone doesn't do something about it ...
- Glurk, chief of the Munrungs
- Snibril, Glurk's younger brother
- Pismire, the wise man of the Munrung tribe
- Bane, a Dumii general
- Brocando, King of the Deftmenes
- Fray, a natural phenomenon wreaking havoc on the Carpet
- Mouls, a power-hungry species
- Wights, who remember the future
- Camus Cadmes