List of recommended fan fiction
It has justly been estimated that 90% of fan fiction is, to be kind, not worth the computer run-time and server space it hopefully and optimistically occupies. However, as tvtropes explains, the remaining 10% is to die for. (Well, perhaps feel slightly ill.)
Let us therefore use this space to make recommendations as to favourite pieces of fan-fic, so as to direct the steps of those who have discovered the long gaps between official Discworld novels written by Sir Terry are getting even longer and bleaker.
Nominate the best here and be sure to provide a link!
If you've finished this list and want more, try TVTropes' list (insert appropriate TVTropes disclaimer here).
by A.A. Pessimal
One of the best works of fanfiction I've seen. It sketches out how Ankh-Morpork's future might be and all of the characters are, well, in-character. It's filled with a good amount of references, another point where it doesn't differ from the books. --Dragon4 (talk) 16:30, 29 April 2013 (GMT)
Imagine a link opening up between the Discworld and Middle Earth. Imagine Elrond, wanting an additional insurance policy against the failure of the Fellowship, wanting a tenth person there with the guile, ability, and raw cynicism necessary to bond together nine hopeless dreamers and make it work. He asks Vetinari for advice. And so Sam Vimes, with a wholly different world-view on Dwarfs, Elves, Trolls and Orcs, is sent to advise the expedition... uproarious humour ensues. Recommended by --AgProv 18:37, 28 October 2011 (CEST)
by Grey L. Bloom
A very adorable, if a bit silly one-shot. The synopsis at ff.net (Hex and a mysterious woman) are rather misleading and likely scared a good number of people away. While yes, the basic plot is 'Hex falls in love' it is a very nice read. Recommended by --LilMaibe 18:42, 12 November 2011 (CET)
Quite possibly the single most outstanding work of fan fiction - overlapping fan art - that I have ever come across. Just reading it (and appreciating the art work involved) makes me glad to be alive and to have woken up and logged on this morning. it also makes me jealous! (Green-eyed wailing at knowing I may never produce anything as good as this in my life).
Synopsis: Assassin Andrew Salt has done his research, at great personal cost, to produce a hypothetical risk assessment of how easy or otherwise it would be to inhume Arch-Chancellor Mustrum Ridcully. He has infiltrated the University and even "acquired" books and documents from the Library (necessitating claims on his Guild in-sewer-ants policy). The resulting analysis, done according to standard Guild requirements, has been critically acclaimed and entered for the Teatime Prize for best inhumation plan for a superhuman or magically-guarded entity. A sheer joy and delight to read and I cannot praise it more warmly. AgProv (talk) 03:56, 3 December 2012 (PST)
And of course Terry's other works and collaborations have attracted fan fiction as well. As before, without the checks and balances of editors, agents and publishing houses, some is so diabolical that Anthony Crowley would approve it as smearing a patina of revulsion, boredom and irritation over the greatest number of Internet-capable humans. (Without his having to raise a finger save for the initial effort involved in sponsoring FanFic.net to get up and running.) But the Arrangement decrees that Aziraphale gets a look-in too. There are Good Omens fanfics which are perfectly heavenly to read.
by A.A. Pessimal.
It's the early twentieth century. Europe has had its longest sustained period of peace and prosperity and war is a thing of the past. In the summer of 1908, in the luxury of Imperial Austria, what stormclouds could possibly arise to blight Europe? The demon Crowley gets a glimmering of evil to come when he is ordered to befriend a struggling young artist...
(OK, so it's one of mine, but it gets the ball rolling)
- This article is a stub. One can help Discworld & Terry Pratchett Wiki by .