Talk:Evans the Striped
Brian Glover. Born in Sheffield, raised in Barnsley. He once said, "You play to your strengths in this game. My strength is as a bald-headed, rough-looking Yorkshireman". Whilst I see the link, I don't think we can stretch Mr Sugden to Llamedosian. Lancrastrian, aye, but no t' bloody Llamedos! (unsigned comment by Knmatt, 16:21, 3 October 2009
I'll lose it. you are in fact correct! But there must be a bastard Welsh PE master on TV or film somewhere....--AgProv 21:05, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
- Possibly Richard Davies in Please Sir! I'm not sure he was the PE Teacher or not though.--Megahurts 16:27, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- Only on one side of the pond - in Europe it's generally black shirts. Well, it was - now they're pink, green, yellow... but not often striped.--Knmatt 21:35, 11 June 2011 (CEST)
But then I was thinking: Evans - Llamedosian - Welsh - Rugby - wide horizontal stripes (what we used to call a rugby shirt), but they don't seem to be de rigeur any more either; traditional, though. --Old Dickens 01:00, 13 June 2011 (CEST)
And of course, a painfully obvious attribution for the Striped... at my old school, the head of PE was a jovial former Royal Marines PTI, an appelation the British armed forces usually honour with at least Corporal's rank so that he is better able to bully and beast physical fitness into new recruits. Given the other associations of Llamedos and one of its principal exports, could Corporal Evans once have been an Army physical training instructor?--AgProv 12:43, 15 June 2011 (CEST)
- There were three friends in the village called Evans: Evans the Bread, who was the baker, Evans the Milk, who was the milkman, and Level Evans, who controlled the level crossing gates.
- Level Evans was in a fight in the pub one night where a man died. At his trial he was judged guilty of murder. His sentence was to be announced the next day.
- That night, Evans the Milk and Evans the Bread went to the pub to drink away the time of anguished waiting for the sentencing. At the end of the night, Evans the Milk was so plastered that Evans the Bread had to carry him home.
- The next day, Evans the Bread got up early and went to the court building where the sentence was to be decided upon. Evans the Milk, hung over, stayed in his bed to sleep it off.
- Come the sentencing, Evans the Bread was delighted to learn that his friend Level Evans was not going to be hanged from the neck until dead, but instead had been sentenced to life imprisonment. Such was the relief of Evans the Bread that he ran all the way to the house of Evans the Milk, and banged on his door in excitement.
- Evans the Milk had managed to get up, and was in the shower trying to make himself feel human again after the previous night's excesses. When he heard the banging on the door, he went downstairs, stark naked, covered in soap, to find his friend Evans the Bread at the door.
- "They're not hanging Level Evans!" announced Evans the Bread.
- "They're not f**king meant to, boyo," replied Evans the Milk.