The Laws and Ordinances of the Cities Ankh and Morpork
This is the book given to Carrot Ironfoundersson by local Copperhead trader, Mr. Varneshi, when he is sent to Ankh-Morpork to become a Watchman. He is told that 'You have to know all the laws to be a good officer.' Carrot is nothing if not literal-minded, so he sets out to memorize the thick volume.
Some of the Laws upheld by Carrot have included:
- Conspiracy to Commit Crime, Section 14 (iii) of the General Felonies Act 1678
- Serving alcohol after midnight, Public Ale Houses (Opening) Act 1678
- Improper containers, Public Ale Houses (Opening) Act 1678
- Unsheathed edged weapons, Section 3 of Public Ale Houses (Opening) Act 1678
- Public Foregatherings (Gambling) Act, 1567
- Licensed Premises (Hygiene) Acts of 1433, 1456, 1463, 1465, 1470 through 1690
- Domestic and Domesticated Animals (Care and Protection) Act, 1673
most of which were previously unheard of by everyone in Ankh-Morpork, including the Watch.
However, by Men at Arms Carrot seemed to have got it back again, and consulted it to find out under what circumstances citizens could form a militia. Either that or he has actually managed to memorize it.