Pseudopolis Yard is the name of a circular street in the Isle of Gods, a bit of uptown Ankh-Morpork almost circled by the river Ankh, connected to the rest of uptown Ankh-Morpork by two streets, and to downtown Morpork by four bridges.
Nine streets radiate out from the Yard. Proceeding Turnwise (clockwise) from Lower Broad Way, these are described as:-
- Lower Broad Way leads back to the Patrician's Palace and onwards, via the Brass Bridge. Brewer Street radiates off halfway along and, via Contract Bridge, leads to Cheapside on the other side of the river.
- Holofernes Street crosses back to the University quarter and the main Guildhouses on the Street of Alchemists and Peach Pie Street via the New Bridge.
- Lag Lane is a service road to the Tanty prison that does not cross the river.
- Polestaff Lane runs on the other side of the Tanty and leads onto Don't Look Back Street, which leads onto Body Street and terminates at the riverside Chain Walk.
- Salis Street leads, via one of the swingbridges over the Cut, to the Ankh side and the crossroads with Prouts and Park Lane.
- The next street is Quilldaisy Stairs, which goes directly to Pon's Bridge towards the Shades. On the far side of Pons it is named as Sheer Street.
- Squeezebelly Alley does not cross the river. which ends at the riverbank at By-Your-Leave Walk and does not cross the river.
- Butt's Treat also does not cross the river, but it leads to the archery practice fields.
It can therefore be seen from the Mappe that the major arterial roadway through the city of Ankh-Morpork runs Hubwards Gate - Upper Broadway-Patrician's Palace - Brass Bridge-Lower Broad Way - Pseudopolis Yard - Salis Street - the Cut - Park Lane - Edgeway Road - Rimwards Gate. This road can be traced as one completely straight unbroken road right through the City from Gate to Gate.
The Opera House stands at the dead centre of Pseudopolis Yard, which, in some theories, makes it the absolute dead centre of the City. On the other side of the street, the Ankh-Morpork City Watch's headquarters can be found. Given its links to policing, possibly a reference to Scotland Yard
According to The Compleat Ankh-Morpork, Pseudopolis Yard also offers a choice of two public houses - 'The Singing Hippos' on the corner of Lower Broadway, opposite the Watch House, and 'The Stab in the Back' on the corner of Salis Street.