Book:The Last Hero
|The Last Hero
Leonard of Quirm
|All data relates to the first UK edition.
He can remember the great days of high adventure.
He can remember when a hero didn't have to worry about fences and lawyers and civilisation.
He can remember when people didn't tell you off for killing dragons.
But he can't always remember, these days, where he put his teeth...
He's really not happy about that bit.
So now, with his ancient sword and his new walking stick and his old friends – and they're very old friends – Cohen the Barbarian is going on one final quest. It's been a good life. He's going to climb the highest mountain in the Discworld and meet his gods. He doesn't like the way they let men grow old and die.
It's time, in fact, to give something back.
The last hero in the world is going to return what the first hero stole. With a vengeance. That'll mean the end of the world, if no one stops him in time.
Someone is going to try. So who knows who the last hero really is?
- The Dean
- Evil Harry
- The Luggage
- Hughnon Ridcully
- Mustrum Ridcully
- The Silver Horde
- Ponder Stibbons
- Vena the Raven-Haired
- Havelock Vetinari
- Blind Io
Cameos & Mentions
- Dats Me!
- "Fingers" Mazda - The First Hero
- The 27th Discworld novel.
- This book is the second to feature illustrations by a cover artist for the books after Eric/The Illustrated Eric.
- The novel was illustrated by Paul Kidby.
- The 2002 paperback and subsequent editions of The Last Hero feature additional two-page spread illustrations.
- A new edition with a cover matching the Penguin 50 Years of Terry Discworld books was announced in December 2023, to be published in February 2024. According to the Gollancz website, it will also feature “a new text design”.