Navigate here to browse through the articles
- Bibliography: Books and other material written by Terry Pratchett
- Characters: Pratchett characters
- Places: Agatea to Zambingo, even a Place Where The Sun Does Not Shine
- Discworld Stuff: Anything belonging to the Discworld or Terry Pratchett's writings in general
- Annotations: Comments by readers relating to Pratchett books.
- About Terry Pratchett
- Fandom: About or produced by people who read Terry Pratchett's books
- Podcasts: Audio shows which discuss the books
- Categories: A directory of major categories for articles on this wiki
- Reading suggestions: There's a life beyond Pratchett, and after triple-reading every book and map this is where you start that life
To discuss non-content matters (what do we do with content disputes, vandalism,
etc, what do we want to do with this wiki, and so on), use this location:
Discworld & Pratchett Wiki:Mended Drum
See the talk page for more ideas on what should be in this wiki,
as well as discussions on languages etc.
Are you new to wikis and want to try out how it works? On the Sandbox you can edit as much as you like and get used to working with a wiki.
Recent news about Terry
- Friday, July 7th, 2023
- Speaking with SFX magazine, Neil Gaiman reveals that the second season of Good Omens is not based on the unwritten sequel he planned with Terry Pratchett. It is instead a new story that forms a “connective tissue” between the original and the planned sequel, which would form the basis of a third season if one is made. (SFX article)
- Friday, June 30th, 2023
- The Telegraph, and subsequently several other right-wing news outlets, run outraged stories about the new Penguin audiobook editions of the Discworld novels including “content warnings”. The audiobooks were published in batches since April 2022, more than a year earlier, and the “warning” in question is: “The first book in the Discworld series – The Colour of Magic – was published in 1983. Some elements of the Discworld universe may reflect this.” As quoted in the article, a Penguin spokesperson responded: “This is not a trigger warning, but rather a note providing some context for the listener. The author’s estate is aligned.” (If you're looking for actual content warnings for Pratchett books, try looking them up at The Storygraph.)
- Thursday, June 1st, 2023
- Rhianna Pratchett, Paul Kidby, Gabrielle Kent, Puffin Books and official Discworld channels all release more details of Tiffany Aching’s Guide to Being a Witch, including the cover, some hints about the contents, and that it will be published in October 2023 to celebrate twenty years since the first Tiffany Aching book, The Wee Free Men. (terrypratchett.com summary; The Bookseller article)
- Friday, May 12th, 2023
- Rhianna Pratchett and Paul Kidby announce via social media that they are collaborating with game maker and author Gabrielle Kent on Tiffany Aching’s Guide to Being a Witch, to be published through Puffin Books. Pratchett and Kent have co-written this “in-world guide to aspiring witches everywhere”, illustrated by Kidby. They shared the title and a promotional image, but no release date, promising more information soon. Kidby mentioned he had been working on it for the past year and "recently". Kent also tweeted about it, mentioning that it was the Discworld books that had made her want to be a writer. (@rhipratchett tweet; @paulkidby tweet; @GabrielleKent tweet)
- Wednesday, May 10th, 2023
- YouTube channel The Hillywood Show publish their elaborate Good Omens parody video, featuring members of the original television cast and Neil Gaiman himself handing over the release date of season two of the show to Crowley (played by Hilly Hindi). This was the official announcement that season two will premiere on Amazon Prime on 23 July 2023. (Good Omens Parody by The Hillywood Show on YouTube)
- Monday, February 27th, 2023
- The Terry Pratchett estate announces A Stroke of the Pen, a new collection of Pratchett’s early short stories for newspapers from the 1970s and 1980s, to be published in October 2023. These twenty stories were written under pseudonyms (mostly “Patrick Kearns”) and have not been previously republished. They were discovered thanks to fan Chris Lawrence, who had one of the original newspaper stories framed in his house, with the rest discovered by Pat and Jan Harkin by searching through old newspapers. Rob Wilkins described this as “nothing short of a miracle” and said this was “the last ’new’ Pratchett material we are ever likely to find.” (terrypratchett.com; BBC)
Significant Pratchett Events
- Tuesday, April 28th, 2020
- Narrativia announces an exclusive deal with Motive Pictures and Endeavour Content to produce "definitive" and "absolutely faithful" Discworld adaptations for the screen. No specific productions are announced. The full text of the announcement is available on the Narrativia web site.
- Saturday, September 16th, 2017
- Opening of the Terry Pratchett HisWorld Exhibition at the Salisbury Museum, Wiltshire. HisWorld Website Salisbury Museum Website
- Wednesday, August 30th, 2017
- In accordance with his final wishes Sir Terry Pratchett's unfinished novels are destroyed using a steamroller. News Article
- Saturday, February 11th, 2017
- The BBC broadcasts the biographical documentary Terry Pratchett: Back in Black. (Non-UK viewers may be able to watch it [here])
- Thursday, August 27th, 2015
- Publication of the final Discworld novel, The Shepherd's Crown.
- Thursday, March 12th, 2015
- Sir Terry Pratchett died at home in Wiltshire following a long battle with Alzheimer's. BBC report, 3:26pm GMT
Please, help to maintain the excellent standard of the articles in this wiki.
Regularly a key article will be chosen which should be the focus of contributors.
Alphabetical list of characters in the works of Terry Pratchett
When including characters, please also add them to the Pratchett characters category.
This popular page is fourth in views after the Main Page but it has not been updated regularly.
Latest and Upcoming Publications by or about Terry Pratchett
- October 2023
- Publication of Tiffany Aching’s Guide to Being a Witch by Rhianna Pratchett and Gabrielle Kent, illustrated by Paul Kidby, celebrating the 20th anniversary of Tiffany Aching.
- 5 October 2023
- Publication of A Stroke of the Pen, a collection of previously uncollected “lost” early stories written by Pratchett for newspapers under a pseudonym.
- 28 July 2023
- Season two of Good Omens premieres on Amazon Prime Video.
- 15 June 2023
- Publication of new audiobook and paperback editions of The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Shepherd's Crown as part of 50 Years of Terry.
- 25 May 2023
- Publication of new audiobook and paperback editions of Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud! and Snuff as part of 50 Years of Terry.
- 18 May 2023
- Publication of new audiobook and paperback edition of Moving Pictures as part of 50 Years of Terry.
- 23 February 2023
- Publication of new audiobook and paperback editions of Pyramids, The Truth, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Making Money and Raising Steam as part of 50 Years of Terry.
- 3 February 2023
- US release of The Amazing Maurice.
- 12 January 2023
- Australia and New Zealand release of The Amazing Maurice.
- 9 January 2023
- Publication of Mr. Bunnsy has an Adventure, a "facsimile edition" of the book from the Discworld, as seen in The Amazing Maurice.
- 16 December 2022
- UK premiere on Sky Cinema of The Amazing Maurice.
- 27 October 2022
- Publication of new audiobook and paperback editions of Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, Hogfather and Thief of Time as part of 50 Years of Terry. Rescheduled publication of the Dunmanifestin Edition of The Ultimate Discworld Companion.
- 5 October 2022
- Publication of new audiobook of The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents as part of 50 Years of Terry.
- 29 September 2022
- Publication of Terry's official biography, Terry Pratchett: A Life with Footnotes, by Rob Wilkins.
- 1 September 2022
- Publication of two new editions of The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents to tie-in with the upcoming film.
Did you know that...
- ...the motto carved above the doors of Unseen University means Now you see it, now you don't?
- ...there are only six references to Harry Potter on this entire Wiki?
- ...Sto Lat is a Polish song, the expression meaning "may you live a hundred years"?
- ...someone has actually made a Discworld cake?
- ...the article Multiple exclamation marks has attracted more than 50,000 views?!!! And that was on the old Wiki: even allowing for the shiny new-ness of this new home, "M.E.M." has attracted over 36,000 viewings while many popular characters and books haven't reached 10,000. What is it about this page?
A picture says more than a thousand words...
If you have any artwork to contribute, go to the Upload page. As with all content, make sure you are allowed to post the image here. If you're not the copyright holder, check the license and whether it's compatible with the license used on this site. The upload link can also be found in the Toolbox in the left sidebar.