Places where alcoholic or species-specific intoxicating beverages may be purchased.
Discworld pubs and bars include the following, all named in the stories so far. Please note that the The Compleat Ankh-Morpork lists anything up to two hundred public houses in the City of Ankh-Morpork, and the interested or dedicated drinker is advised to go to this most illuminating gazetteer. for brevity's sake, this list will feature only those that have appeared in the canonical books to date. Or else have such in interesting or entertaining story attached that's worth re-telling!
- The Mended Drum
- The Blue Lias, no longer a going concern, a troll bar in Holy Wood.
- The Bucket in Gleam Street
- The Café Ankh, perhaps more of a bar
- The Bunch of Grapes in Easy Street, favoured by Samuel Vimes in his drinking days
- The Crimson Leech in Easy Street
- The Goblin's Head, the pub in the otherwise un-named vilage where Sam Vimes gets used to being Lord of the Manor and a real Squire because he owns the place...
- The Groaning Platter down by Brass Bridge
- The King's Head/ King's Legs - another city pub to have a change of direction after a makeover
- The Octarine Parrot on Whalebone Lane.
- The Troll's Head in the Shades
- The Stab in the Back opposite the Opera House.
- The Goat and Spirit Level in Hen & Chickens Field
- The Turkey and Vegetable, frequented by Mr Stollop
- The Quene's Head/Duke's Head in the cabbage-growing hinterland near Sto Helit (the precise name of the pub, along with the colour of the landlord's shirt, depends on which part of the local space-time continununuum you inhabit)
- The Duchess in Munz, Borogravia; an inn run by the Perks family
- An unidentified inn at Plün, Borogravia, an altogether meaner place where sharp noses identified the beer as having a strong equine micturation content. This is also the place where we learn of the deleterious effects of the Electrick Floorbanger on trolls;
- The Goat and Bush in Lancre, where Giamo Casanunda set about the seduction of Nanny Ogg with typically Dwarvish attention to the fine detail. Unfortunately, the mood of Hubba-hubba! was compromised when the venue was gate-crashed by Elves.
- The Fiddler's Riddle in Ohulan Cutash. A truly miserable place where Eskarina Smith's trust was abused, and the peach brandy she created thus turned into something unspeakable by morning.
- The King's Legs in the Ramtops. Named by a simple yet creative barman. Was visited by Pictsies in The Wee Free Men. The strange thing is that is that the the owner ended up richer for it.
- The Butcher's Eagle in the slaughterhouse district of Ankh-Morpork. Used by drovers bringing their stock in for slaughter.
Other species have their liquid, or at least molten, intoxicants.
A typical hang-out for Trolls is the Cavern Club in Ankh-Morpork. Molten lava to drink, ear-meltingly loud rock music, cheese 'n' chutney flavoured gravel, and so on, mean that these establishments are generally for trolls only.
There are also dwarf bars, which are welcoming or at least tolerant of humans, but it is vitally important not to make unfortunate comments about "low dives", and do seek to avoid ordering a half. Dwarf bars are good places to sing of gold and go quaffing, but be advised that roistering may ensue.
- This article is a stub. One can help Discworld & Terry Pratchett Wiki by expanding it.